Jay Hughes grew up in Louisiana. He attended and graduated from Louisiana Tech University with both a Bachelor’s and his Masters of Business Administration (MBA). Jay met his wife, Niki, in college and they have been married for 23 years. Jay is a CPA and was a partner in a CPA firm when they felt God leading them to serve in a different role. He served at the Missouri Baptist Convention for 10 years before becoming a Pastor at Second in 2012. They have two beautiful daughters, Katie and Mary Margaret.
Duane and his wife, Amy, have been married for 29 years and have five children; Stephen, Matthew, Timothy, Malachi, and Haliana. Duane was ordained in 2001 and was the pastor of New Testament Baptist Church in Ocala, Florida, for eight years. His family then moved to China where he served for four years. Duane's family has been serving at Second since 2015 in the College and Student Ministries. Duane loves the outdoors, renovation projects, teaching the Bible, and being with his family.
Worship & Creative Arts
Connections & Women
Second Baptist's History
Second Baptist is founded
On March 1, 1885, North Springfield (now Second) Baptist Church, was "duly organized," largely from members of First Baptist Church. From the first, Second has belonged to and been closely aligned with Greene County Baptist Association, and Missouri Baptist Convention.
First building dedication
The church's first building at 1616 North Robberson was dedicated July 4, 1886. On this day, the congregation, led by Richard Armstrong playing his trumpet, sang "Onward Christian Soldiers" as they marched from the rented Frisco Opera House to the new building at 1616 North Robberson.
Icy baptisms at Doling Park
In the years before and after the first building was erected, baptisms took place in the lake at Doling Park. One must salute the courage of these early members in braving the "icy" waters of December for baptism.
First church plant
In 1889, Second started what is now National Heights Baptist Church. The goal was to reach "the field lying north of the Frisco shops." The church's earliest worship services were conducted outdoors behind a blacksmith shop. People sat on benches under trees in an oak grove.
Second church plant
In 1895, Second started what is now Hamlin Memorial Baptist Church. It was named in honor of one of its Pastors, James Reagan Hamlin, who had served as a Chaplain of a Confederate Calvary unit.
Organ pumping becomes a paid position
In 1903, the church voted to pay the young man who pumped the organ $2 per month, and to take $4 from the Poor Fund and pay two months' back salary. We have the names of the first four organ pumpers.
Changing the church name
In 1905, the church voted to change its name to Robberson Avenue Baptist Church. For some reason, the matter was tabled, and no further action taken. The matter did not come before the membership again until July 1919, when the name was officially changed.
New sanctuary on Robberson Avenue
On February 18, 1917, the church voted to tear down the old building, and build a new sanctuary at the same location for the cost of $18,000. The first service in the new building was held on June 23, 1918.
The first Vacation Bible School
The Vacation Bible School of Second Baptist was among the first in the city. In July of 1927, a very successful school was held, with 209 children enrolled. The Vacation Bible School program continued to flourish through the years and was an example to other churches around Springfield.
Moving to Oak Grove
On October 14, 1959, the church voted to buy from the Greene County Baptist Association, a 5-acre plot of ground at the corner of Oak Grove and Catalpa for $10,000! The church changed its legal name to Second Baptist Church.
Groundbreaking on Mother's Day
The Ground Breaking Service for the new building was held on Mother's Day, May 8, 1960. The first service in the new building was held on Easter Sunday, April 2, 1961.
"Together We Build"
In 1978, Second Baptist adopted the "Together We Build" campaign, inspired by an anonymous church letter from 1915 that states "...with our hearts set on Him and our faith in Him we will go on to greater things in the Lord." On December 14, 1980, Second Baptist dedicated its fourth sanctuary.
Move to Battlefield Road
In 1993, Second moved to its current location on Battlefield Road. The final phase of the building was completed in 2003.
Glorifying God, Making Disciples
Second Baptist continues its mission to glorify God by making disciples through the Bible and relationships through planting churches, serving our community, equipping the saints for the work of the ministry, and growing in love, truth, and unity with one another.